Saturday, January 20, 2007

Balance

I bought some books recently, and Bel, who rung me up, seemed shocked at what I got. I picked books by CS Lewis (The Four Loves), a book with the basic writings of Jung, and the Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman. Why was she shocked? Because why would I be buying books that are not within my specialty, in other words, kids books, fantasy...that sort of thing?

Well, because I've found I need some balance. Kid's books, while wonderful, have very little intellectual growth in them. With a few exceptions, of course. Christopher Paolini, the Pendragon series, Diane Duane, Colin Thompson...etc... But what I'm reading now, Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo is a good story, but there's no depth to it. It reminds me somwhat of the Edge series by Stewart. Plot, funny characters, but little in the way of deep, sympathizable characters.

I guess I just miss the academic life that I so enjoyed at Georgia College some 10 years ago. So I want to use the bookstore to help balance my bookshelves between light, entertaining reading and real, meaningful studies. Thoreau and other philosophers used their libraries to further their education, so why can't I?

Of course, this is just a stop gap measure. I so miss Milledgeville, the poetry readings, the fellow students that had the same mindset that I did, the amazing professors that actually had something to teach you. Eventually I'll want to get back to that, getting a Masters in English, or something, but for now, I'll go for reading books, and perhaps I'll look at the colleges around the Atlanta area and see what events they have planned. I'd like to go participate in some of those.

Of course, there's also a need to balance Intellectualism with socially interacting with other people, be it through friendship, love, acquaintances...etc... and there's always the need for companionship, something I've not quite figured out how to do here, although in Milledgeville it was much easier. Anyway... I spent a melancholic day or two trying to figure out what I want to do, and I've come to the decision that I've got to continue with the relationships I already have formed, and then nurture new ones found here on Myspace, at work at Borders, or elsewhere.

It'll be a challenge, but hopefully, it'll be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment