Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This and That... or what you don't see them putting on your sub at Quiznos

A few random thoughts that I have to get out of my head before they fly away:

I went to Quiznos Subs here in Conyers, just opened up. It was good, better than other sub places... however... I would rather go to Subway, watch them make the sandwich, tell them what I want on it, and pay less, than worry about getting something that tastes just a little better. And on a related note, they closed Jerry's Subs in Milledgeville, and I was sad. Those were darn good subs.

Everyone knows I don't curse. Never have. And the music I listen to has little cursing in it. I can count on one hand the albums I own that have one F word in them. So is using the F word ever appropriate? Well, no, but since we don't live in a G rated world, when does it work, and when is it a bad idea?

Take two albums I recently listened to. James Blunt's Back to Bedlam, for starters. The song "You're Beautiful" is a wonderful expression of love unfulfilled and unavailable. The perfect echo of Goethe's Sorrow's of Young Werther. And the height of the song, on the radio, anyway, is the line "She could see on my face / that I was flying high." Wonderfully done, with undertones of true love, bliss, etc... Now, I get the album (in an easily disposable manner ) and listen to it. The line has changed to "that I was f--ing high." Totally different story. He was stoned, abjected, totally away from the Romantic ideal of the Radio version. It not only ruined the song, it ruined the album. I couldn't listen to it anymore. I pitched it.

Now. take KT Tunstall's latest. The first song on it uses the F word, but she incorporates it into this edgy, folk driven song. It surprises you the first time you hear it, but it's appropriate within the context of the song. It adds a rebellious tone to an album that, without it, would be just another Norah Jones imitation. I'll link to it at the end of this blog.

The flags have been lowered to half mast to mourn the passing of President Ford. It's always a striking homage to anyone. Except for when the US Postal service has lowered it so that it gets snagged in the trees. Or when you look at the Checker's American flag and see that it looks like it's been through a war. Businesses should take care of their flag much as they would the inside of the store. How would they like it if the Health inspector took off points because their flag was damaged. They should. Someone needs to contact Checkers here and tell them that they need to replace it. All it takes is a little observation and care about the place in which you work. If my workplace did that, I'd raise heck about it.

Football's almost over... and now there's nothing on TV at all. If only there were a Star Trek channel, or if only I had enough money to buy all the DVD's. Football withdrawls, made worse by Reality TV. Oh well, at least there's the Internet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment