Thursday, March 5, 2009

Video Game Review: Fable: The Lost Chapters

I once tried playing some of the Forgotten Realms games, thinking that they would be somewhat like this. I wanted a game with characters I could be emotionally involved with (feel empathy towards), with a tale that evolved much like those in Final Fantasy VII or Ocarina of Time (best two games ever made). But the games turned out to be too difficult, with emphasis put more on hack and slash (which I have ranted about on more than one occasion), rather than character or story development. So when I was finally able to play Fable with my PC, I was eagerly hoping that it would be one of those worlds I could get sucked into.

It was. And more. Purely amazing real-time play where people went to work, went to bed, went to the taverns and got drunk. And the enemies with AI that was acceptable (the best I've interacted with was on Wind Waker). The neat thing about the game was that you couldn't just go into a house and start breaking pots and stuff. That would be vandalism or stealing. I had to find a way to get the residents out of the houses before I ransacked them. Although I did take the good route on the game, there is room for a little balance, for not everyone is purely one way or the other. Chaotic good, as in the Forgotten Realms games.

The only complaint I have with the game was the experience gaining vs. storyline ratio. I had maxed out my experience levels 2/3rds of the way through, and with the shield spell only draining MP if you get hit, I could be basically invincible. So the game was, at the end, too easy. Course, I could say the same thing about FFVII, but as long as the game was addictive, it doesn't matter.

And now, on to Fable II.... oh, wait.... I can't, cause it's only on the Xbox 360... blast it all, and I don't gots one of those. And I don't see me getting one any time soon. This is the not the year to be buying extravagant toys, what with the economy and all. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment